Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tuff-man: 6 Month Update

Wow! So much has happened in the past month. It’s just so fun to watch him grow and start putting things together in his mind. No 2+2=4 yet… LOL… But we are definitely on our way there. It is something new every day. He is really starting to get into his toys. I have to admit, he didn’t really have anything to play with until a couple weeks ago. A butt-load of books, a couple empty water bottles, a Green Sprouts teether, a couple giraffes and some soft blocks… that’s the long list! I went to a friend’s house while out of town and saw Keegan’s eyes light up with all the toys, and then the light went off in my head – the boy needs something to stimulate his curious mind! So I did what any sane mother would do, went ape-sh*t crazy on Amazon.com… LOL!

So here are a couple fun updates that make 6 months so much fun…

1.       Solids – We were a little apprehensive about starting him on solids. At 5 months, we tried rice cereal and it was not a pleasant experience. So we waited a couple of weeks and I jumped head first into some research on first foods to feed baby. We tried again a couple weeks later with yellow squash, and it was a success! Now only a few weeks later, our son is a total foodie… His faves right now are any kind of squash (yellow, zucchini, pumpkin, and spaghetti), avocado and carrots. We tried bananas, but he wasn’t really into it. So we’ll bring it back in a few weeks. We just made our first batch of prune puree, which will be given in very small quantities, but we feel is necessary to keep him regular (and they are super healthy). We had decided early on that we would make our own baby food, and it has been very rewarding to be able to do this for him. This is very close to my heart, especially since I did not have the means to breastfeed. So taking the extra time to make sure that the food he puts in his mouth is fresh and organic is very important to me, and my husband. Thank God for my husband, for without which we would not have the garden where we grow our own vegetables.
(After a Whole Foods run... Our garden is not quite producing this much, yet)

(1 oz of each: zucchini, banana, avocado)

"Am I going to have to feed myself?"

(Yummy, carrot face!)

2.       Sitting up all on his own – He loves just sitting around. He reaches for things and pops back up, he picks up his toys and plays and loves the view. He’ll tip over and roll around and scoot and lunge across the floor, and it is so much fun just watching him. I surround him with his favorite toys just out of reach, and I watch those wheels just turning in that head of his. I wonder what he’s thinking as he sees the spread I have for him. I love how he’ll be playing there and every once in a while he’ll look up at me and give this huge smile. Like he’s letting me know he’s having a great time and “look what I’m doing Momma” face. His expressions are so sweet, I pray they stay like that always.



3.       Oral fixation – Everything… EVERYTHING… goes in the mouth. Toys, fingers, feet, clothes, diapers (clean of course), TV remote, the dog… this list is endless, of course. But his favorite is still my hands. He can be sitting on my lap and my hand is just beside him, and he will take it and hug it and put it on his face and then, of course, into his mouth. Another favorite is my face. I’ll be playing with him and he puts his sweet hands on my face and lunges for the first facial feature available (usually my nose or forehead). This is probably why I stayed sick for 3 weeks, I couldn’t help but let him drool all over my face and hands, and then didn’t wash my hands enough.





4.       He recognizes faces AND voices – When my mother or my Granny call and I put them on speaker phone, his face lights up. People have told me that it’s just because he likes the sound, but I think they can kiss my @$$. He knows! Especially my Granny, he L.O.V.E.S. his Granny… and why not. She was my favorite person growing up too J

5.       He is affectionate – He is truly a snuggle bug sometimes. My favorite time is when I bath him. I sit him on the counter in the bathroom facing the mirror, and I stand behind him with my arms beside him kind of leaning over him. He will “kiss” himself in the mirror and watch as his mirror hand touches his real hand and is mesmerized. But every couple of minutes, he turns his head around to look me in the face, and then leans into me. He will grab my forearms with both his hands and “snuggle”. It melts my heart.
(Grabbing and holding Daddy's face)

(Playing with Mommy's feet, with his feet... so sweet)

6.       White boy can jump – All I have to say is the phrase speaks for itself. One of my Amazon.com splurges was this jumper, and it was worth every penny. See for yourself …

7.       He has a lovey – I actually didn’t think he would take a lovey. I tried to introduce several to him and he just wasn’t interested in them. But one night after reading him his book, I noticed he was reaching over my shoulder at a giraffe blankee that I draped over the back of the rocker. It’s small and light weight, so I gave it to him and laid him down in bed. Amazing! He clung onto it like it was his best friend and drifted off to sleep rubbing it, like they had always been together. It blew my mind. Now he finds it, where ever it is in the bed, and snuggles with it. It’s either laying next to him or under him, and he plays peek-a-boo with it in the middle of the night.

6 month stats:
Weight: 18.1 lbs
Height: 27.5 in
Head: 17.5 in
Favorite Toy: Soft blocks and soft book
Favorite Lovey: Giraffe blankie
Favorite Food: Squash
Schedule: Up at about 6am, asleep by 7:30pm
Naps: about 2 x 1.25 hour naps a day, plus maybe a short nap in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment